Please Follow us on Gab, Minds, Telegram, Rumble, Gab TV, GETTR, Truth Social, Twitter
As earlier reported, Sudan is collapsing and after the recent outbreak on April 15, both sides are being pressured to end the crises and come to the negotiating table either in Southern Sudan or Saudi Arabia, but it all depends upon trust and a glimmer of hope as of Monday.
The warring generals finally have agreed to send their representatives to the table, the top U.N. official in Sudan said Monday.
If the talks come together, they would initially focus on establishing a “stable and reliable” cease-fire, Volker Perthes told The Associated Press.
He warned of challenges in the future having witnessed temporary truces that were broken - some almost immediately.
Even before the recent crises erupted, nearly a third of the population of 46 million relied on international aid, which has been difficult to deliver.
The World Food Program (WFP) on Monday said it was ending their temporary suspension of its Sudanese operations after three team members were killed in the Darfur region.
The WFP will resume food distribution in four provinces — al-Qadaref, Gezira, Kassala and White Nile — working in areas where security permits, Executive Director Cindy McCain said.
The numbers of those needing help will “grow significantly as fighting continues,” Mrs. McCain said. “To best protect our necessary humanitarian workers and the people of Sudan, the fighting must stop.”
The overwhelmed hospitals will soon received some relief upon the arrival of the International Committee of the Red Cross planes packed with medical supplies.
Over the last weeks, Sudanese Army Chief Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) Commander Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo have appeared determined to fight to the end.
Hours after the two sides committed to a 72-hour cease-fire extension on Monday, gunfire echoed in Khartoum and the neighboring city of Omdurman.
Atiya Abdalla Atiya, Secretary of the Doctors’ Syndicate, said there was fighting early Monday in military’s headquarters, the Republican Palace, and the international airport and in the upscale neighborhood of Kafouri.
“That is very difficult in a situation where there is a lack of trust,” he said.
Dagalo has named the RSF’s representatives but claims trust-building measures have to be in place first.
“A settlement should come after other matters: First, a cease-fire and building the trust,” he told Asharq, a Saudi-based TV station.
The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi warned Monday of many more refugees fleeing Sudan. “If violence doesn’t stop we will see more people forced to flee Sudan seeking safety,” he wrote on Twitter.
“We all saw the enormous tensions,” Perthes said. “Our efforts to de-escalate did not succeed.” He said he had been warning repeatedly that “any single spark” could cause the power struggle to explode.
Perthes warned of a “major humanitarian crisis” because of food and fresh water shortages.
A real cease-fire is vital to getting access to residents who are trapped in their homes or injured, he said. “If we don’t get a stable cease-fire ... the humanitarian situation will be even worse.”
Subscribe to our evening newsletter to stay informed during these challenging times!!