In a series of Tweets Wednesday regarding a Reuters article in which Twitter’s former head of trust and safety said that the company is “not safer” with Elon Musk as the owner, a user tweeted, “Twitter has shown itself to be not safe for the past 10 years and has lost users’ trust. The past team of “trust and safety” is a disgrace, so it doesn’t have any right to judge what is being done now.” Musk replied to @EvaFoxU’s tweet, saying, “Exactly. The obvious reality, as long-time users know, is that Twitter has failed in trust & safety for a very long time and has interfered in elections.”
‘NO AD’ subscription for CDM! Sign up here and support real investigative journalism and help save the republic!‘
In keeping with his commitment to make Twitter more transparent, Musk agreed with Alex Lorusso that he should release Twitter’s internal discussions regarding its decision to censor the story about Hunter Biden’s laptop before the 2020 presidential election saying in a tweet that releasing the discussions “is necessary to restore public trust.”
Multiple users were previously banned by the social media platform for sharing links to the Hunter Biden laptop story or for expressing an interest in the topic. Users that were banned include, the Post for reporting the story, White House spokesperson Kayleigh McEnany for sharing the story, and former President Trump’s campaign account.
At the time of the accounts being banned due to the Hunter Biden laptop story, Musk had said, “Suspending the Twitter account of a major news organization for publishing a truthful story was obviously incredibly inappropriate.”
Musk has made it his mission to make Twitter a politically unbiased social media platform that supports free speech. In an open letter released after acquiring the company, Musk said, “it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence.”