Mauricio Garcia, 33, the suspect in the slaughter at the recent Dallas suburb mall on Saturday, where eight individuals were killed and seven wounded, tried to enter the U.S. Army 15 years ago, but was “terminated” after three months before exiting entry training, the Pentagon has confirmed. He had never been deployed.
It is unknown at this point publicly whether he was discharged under honorable circumstances or otherwise.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation previously stated Garcia, who was killed by a police officer at the incident in Allen, Texas, had served in the military for a brief period but was expelled for mental health reasons, CNN had reported.
Officials confirmed Monday that Garcia had been “terminated” from the Army.
“He was separated under the 2005 edition of Army Regulation 635-200, paragraph 5–17, Other designated physical or mental conditions,” an Army official told the Daily Caller.
“Mauricio Garcia entered the regular Army in June 2008; he was terminated three months later without completing initial entry training. He was not awarded a military occupational specialty,” or assigned occupation, Heather J. Hagan, a spokesperson for the U.S. Army, told the Daily Caller News Foundation.
“He had no deployments or awards,” she added.
Subscribe to our evening newsletter to stay informed during these challenging times!!