Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly issues stay-at-home order effective Monday through April 19. Kansas joins nearly two dozen states in ordering residents to stay at home. Up until yesterday the response to the Chinavirus pandemic has been lead by Governors and Mayors, but today the response has been nationalized and will be directed from Washington, DC.
Yesterday, after signing the CARES Act that will provide $2T in Chinavirus economic relief, President Trump signed 3 executive orders:
- Memorandum on Order Under the Defense Production Act Regarding General Motors Company
- EO to Order the Selected Reserve and Certain Members of the Individual Ready Reserve of the Armed Forces to Active Duty
- EO on Delegating Additional Authority Under the DPA with Respect to Health and Medical Resources to Respond to the Spread of COVID-19
The first EO tells General Motors to start building personal protective equipment and ventilators (and anything else the Federal Government requires). The second puts all National Guard units, and individual members of the Ready Reserve under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Defense. The third invoked section 301 of the National Emergencies Act and gave the Secretary of Homeland Security authority to respond to the spread of COVID-19.
Today the President visited Norfolk, VA to see off the U.S. Naval Hospital Ship USNS Comfort on its way to New York City. A sister ship, USNS Mercy, is located in Las Angeles. These Naval Hospitals have never been deployed within the borders of the United States of America. New York might need the extra hospital because President Trump is considering a complete lock down of the tri-State area.
Ivanka is right, these are unprecedented times and the world waits to see what happens next.
- Trump Invokes Defense Production Act To Force American Companies To Produce Medical Products
- If They Are Willing To Do This To Gain Power, Think What Else They Are Willing To Do…